Pastry Cream

 Hadley and I have been watching The Kids Baking Championship. It's so cute and we both learn a lot while watching it. I'm amazed at times by the kids knowledge. Hadley of course wants to be on it and I'm like I don't think you understand how much these kids know and understand. We do try to bake a lot together so she can learn. The kids make cream puffs and pastry cream- which I have never made pastry cream- so I thought I might as well try it out. I found this recipe and video from the Preppy Kitchen.

  • Pastry Cream 
  • 2 cups whole milk 
  • 1 vanilla bean split lengthwise
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 2/3 cup sugar 
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch 
  • 1 tbsp unsalted butter 
  • Cut the vanilla bean lengthwise then use a spoon or knife the scrape the seeds out. Add the milk and vanilla bean to a medium saucepan, heat then place over medium heat and bring to a boil.
  • Immediately turn off the heat and set aside to infuse for 15 minutes.
  • In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the cornstarch and whisk vigorously until no lumps remain.
  • Whisk in 1/4 cup of the hot milk mixture until incorporated. Whisk in the remaining hot milk mixture, reserving the saucepan.
  • Pour the mixture through a strainer back into the saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and slowly boiling.
  • Remove from the heat and stir in the butter. Let cool slightly. 
  • Cover with plastic wrap, lightly pressing the plastic against the surface to prevent a skin from forming.
  • Chill at least 2 hours or until ready to serve. The custard can be made up to 24 hours in advance. Refrigerate until 1 hour before using. I whipped some cream up and folded it into my chilled custard to lighten the filling up, this is now technically called diplomat cream.

Comments

Popular Posts