Cream Puffs



 Cream Puffs 

I got this recipe from my mom. I think it is out of her FCCLA recipe book. Some people have what it takes to make cream puffs and some people don't. My mom's cream puffs always turn out. Most of mine do- but I have had a few flops. I remember my mom making these for my Grandpa Scott- they were his favorite treat. 

* Original recipe calls for margarine- I will always substitute butter. I also recommend using parchment paper or baking mat for these. They leave a residue on your pans that is so hard to clean off. 


Cream Puffs 

1 C. water 

1/2 tsp salt 

4 eggs 

1/2 C. butter 

1 C. flour

Heat water and butter to boiling point.  Add flour and salt. Stir vigorously until mixed then cook the dough about 3 more minutes.  I transfer the mixture to a mixer- you can mix with a spoon as well. Crack your eggs while the mixture cools for a minute. Add eggs one at a time. 

Drop by spoonfuls on greased cookie sheet. Place 1/2 inch apart. Bake at 425 until risen or puffed about 10 minutes and reduce heat to 300 degrees for 20-25 minutes until golden and dry. 

DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR!! THEY WILL DROP.    

Just say a prayer to the cream puff gods and hope they their jobs. 


Filling

Most of the time I just chose an instant pudding box- vanilla, chocolate, lemon, pistachio.... Make it up. 

Mix up some whipped cream. Like a cup of heavy cream and 3 TBSP powdered sugar. Mix to soft peaks. 

Fold together the pudding and whipped cream. 

The last time I made cream puffs Hadley and I were binge watching Kids Baking Championship so we went all out and made the cream anglaise. So yummy! We felt legit. Dempsey said they were the best things she's ever tasted. 

I used this recipe... I think. 

It's from the Preppy Kitchen . I never use unsalted butter. I don't believe in it. I also added some shipped cream into the pastry cream. 

Pastry Cream 

  • 2 cups whole milk 
  • 1 vanilla bean split lengthwise
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 2/3 cup sugar 
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch 
  • 1 tbsp unsalted butter 
  • Cut the vanilla bean lengthwise then use a spoon or knife the scrape the seeds out. Add the milk and vanilla bean to a medium saucepan, heat then place over medium heat and bring to a boil.
  • Immediately turn off the heat and set aside to infuse for 15 minutes.
  • In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the cornstarch and whisk vigorously until no lumps remain.
  • Whisk in 1/4 cup of the hot milk mixture until incorporated. Whisk in the remaining hot milk mixture, reserving the saucepan.
  • Pour the mixture through a strainer back into the saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and slowly boiling.
  • Remove from the heat and stir in the butter. Let cool slightly. 
  • Cover with plastic wrap, lightly pressing the plastic against the surface to prevent a skin from forming.
  • Chill at least 2 hours or until ready to serve. The custard can be made up to 24 hours in advance. Refrigerate until 1 hour before using. 

Comments

Popular Posts